|I encourage my customers to make responsible and sustainable choices.
A few things to consider:
The textile industry is catching up!
Most people are familiar with natural fibers like linen, cotton, and silk but what about hemp & bamboo? O Ecotextiles is a Washington based company that is leading the way in natural content and dying processes. Check out their new bamboo velvets!
Recycled plastic? Yes, it's true, many companies are coming out with fabrics that contain recycled polyester. Check-out Kravet's amazing collection!
Oeko-Tex Standard 100 or Öko-Tex Standard 100 is an international testing and certification system for textiles, limiting the use of certain chemicals. This may be of particular interest to families and young children or, to those who have allergies and are sensitive to chemicals. Some of the regulations & tests include dyestuff that include carcinogenic arylamines, pesticides & cholrinated phenols, heavy metals, and formaldehyde. Maxwell fabrics, based out of Vancouver, B.C has an extensive collection of fabric that meet these standards.
Samples of these green fabrics are available upon request. Call today to set-up your complementary design consultation.
What can you do to make your windows more efficient and not sacrifice on design? Lots!
Linings raise R-Values by creating an insulating layer of trapped air- keeping a room cooler in summer and warmer in winter. TempAssure linings have been proven to increase the R-Value up to 300% over unlined drapery.
How about detachable lining? This is a good option for a very cold room and that needs added protection. From a design point of view, detachable lining allow you to remove them during warmer months showcasing a light airy feel for Spring and Summer. Think of them as a blanket that can be taken on and off.
How do you maintain your view and minimize the sun's harmful UV Rays? Try solar screens and window films. Insolroll is a Louisville, CO company that specializes in solar screens. SilverScreen meets GreenGuard Indoor Air Quality & LEED Certification. Or, Panorama window films are ideal for the individual that wants no visible treatment! Ask about their comprehensive warranty program! Both of these products reflect the sun's harmful UV Rays protecting your valuable rugs and furniture. And, they help maintain a more comfortable indoor temperature year around.
One of the main advantages of going custom is a good fit. Cellular shades provide great insulative properties I am big fan of Grabber's Crystal Pleat collection.
While shades are often measured to fit inside the window casing, this may not offer the best seal. It may be necessary to measure for an outside mount and allow for 2-4” overhang on all sides. Custom fabric shades are a great way to ensure a tight fit around the window. Magnetic strips or velco can be added to secure the bottom in place.
It is often a combination of products that make for success.
What am I doing to make my business more sustainable?
Reuse, Reuse, Reuse.
One of my favorite projects was turning a set of vintage curtains into a super modern & luxurious window seat. Whenever possible I will reuse materials like linings, hardware, foam, and pillow forms. While I do offer a full selection of these products, I am not interested in selling you something you don't need.
All the little things add up!
All marketing materials like business cards and flyers get printed on recycled paper with soy ink. 90% of my fabric scraps get repurposed. I drive a small car. Generally, I try to make sustainable choices & operate a business that I can be proud of.
I work with local business whenever possible. Here are a few of my favorites:
- McKirnan Bed & Bath offers the most amazing bed linens ever. The retail shop is beautifully decorated and centrally located.
- American Down & Feather is a family owned, Denver based business making all my custom pillows & foam.
Sew Good Alterations is where I got my start as a professional seamstress. They offer a superior alteration service. 303-440-0225
- WESCO Fabrics is a family owned Denver based business. The owners of this company travel the world finding unique fabrics and furniture. They have a warehouse in Denver and have large sales periodically.
- Cache Cleaners in Boulder takes great care to clean your items.
- Insolroll has a large manufacturing facility in Louisville, CO. They make solar screens including custom digital printing.
- Sun-Ease is a family owned Boulder based business. Window films are their speciality.
- Some Assembly Required, owned and operated by Bill Whitner is my curtain installer. But more importantly, he is a handyman. Give him a call for any of your home repairs and remodels. 303-709-5696
- Rusty's Upholstery is a family operated business and offers large scale projects like leather upholstered walls or custom built furniture.
- Natural Interiors -- A finishing carpenter with superior craftsmanship! Ask for Chris Nicholson.